Monday, 30 March 2015

Font Research

Font is an essential part of a films licence, it is used to tell on franchise apart from another and to insure that an audience member knows that the film they are viewing is part of said franchise. Take any line of films and, regardless of who directed each film, the fonts will match. Take for example the Terminator franchise, any film, book, or game produced under the terminator name will have the name of said product in the Terminator official font. This allows for the films to almost ensure to their audience that the product is not only genuine but is guaranteed to be a high quality film.

With this in mind I must ensure that my film has a memorable and unique font as font is often an iconographic part of the film making process. With this in mind I have selected 6 various fonts as my potential design.

This font is used for the 911 Porsche and is very similar to the initial idea I had for my font design, this means that it is already a strong candidate for the potential font of my product.

Next is a font under the name "Aerospace". I found this font not only had a futuristic nature about it but also had an edge which I felt reflected the nature of my trailer.
This is the font used for the film "Batman Forever", and whilst the film itself is held as almost a marmite of the Batman fanbase the font would serve it's purpose for my franchise.


This font is used for the "Deadspace" franchise, pretty much already ruling it out for use on my project. I added this font for the static like flicks on the letters. I feel they link well with my project.

This font listed under the name "Dodger" seemingly combines the Porsche font which was close to my initial idea and Aerospace which I felt was a frontrunner for use on my product.

Finally the "Drive" font feels like it belongs more on a racing game than a psychological thriller, feeling it does not properly reflect the nature of the product.

All fonts were sourced and downloaded from dafont.com, a free site with thousands of available font designs.


Having ruled out the "Drive" font from the line up I questioned 20 people, explaining the premise of the film and asking them which font they felt would work best on my poster. These were the results:

With this in mind I will be using the "Dodger" font on my product.

No comments:

Post a Comment